Back to Chelan County PUD's main website »

Recycle used CFLs at Chelan PUD

cfl_recycle_webCompact fluorescent light bulbs last up to 10 times longer than regular incandescent bulbs. But when they do burn out, you can bring the bulbs to Chelan County PUD for recycling.

As part of a new focus on compact fluorescents (CFLs), the PUD is offering free recycling. Just bring your burned-out bulbs to a PUD office in Wenatchee, Leavenworth or Chelan. (Residential bulbs only please; no tubes.)

CFLs contain a tiny bit of mercury, making careful disposal necessary. Bulbs that are collected at the PUD are shipped to a certified handler for recycling of components. Virtually every component of a fluorescent lamp can be recycled, including metal end caps, lamp glass, and mercury phosphor powder. The recycled glass can be used as feedstock in the manufacture of glass products, or as cement aggregate. The aluminum end caps are recycled as metal scrap.  Mercury, after purification, is reused in thermometers, barometers, and electronic devices. 

The Home Depot also offers free recycling.

  1. Ray Sollars says:

    Is this a one-for-one replacement? Can I replace regular lightbulbs with these?

    Thanks, you folks do a wonderful job..

  2. Susan says:

    The free CFLs offered by the PUD are 13 watts and are designed to replace your regular, 60-watt incandescent bulbs. We are not offering recycling for the old incandescents. They can be disposed of in the trash.
    –Susan Gillin, Chelan PUD Conservation Dept.

  1. There are no trackbacks for this post yet.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function len() in D:\Inetpub\DomainID184657\wp-includes\functions.php on line 689